Robert (Eli) Kiefaber
Robert W. (Eli) Kiefaber is a founding partner of Kiefaber & Oliva LLP. Eli focuses his practice on mineral title issues, oil and gas transactions and litigation, real estate matters and business litigation. His practice includes title opinions, division order opinions, joint operating agreements, acquisition and divestiture of oil and gas assets, federal leases, pooling and unitization, environmental and regulatory matters, and energy and environmental litigation, including the Clean Air Act and the Endangered Species Act.
Eli has an extensive background in oil and gas matters and business litigation. He has prepared hundreds of title opinions, including drilling title opinions, division order opinions, supplemental title opinions and acquisition title opinions. Eli’s experience also extends to complex business litigation where he has represented Fortune 500 companies in environmental litigation, real property disputes, breach of contract matters, and a variety of other business disputes in state and federal courts.
Eli is also a regular speaker on issues relating to the development of unconventional shale plays and has given presentations regarding legal issues of oil and gas development in Texas, Ohio, Colorado and other shale play states. He is also active in the oil and gas community and an active member of the American Association of Petroleum Landmen, Houston Association of Petroleum Landmen, the North Houston Association of Petroleum Landmen, the Houston Bar Association – Oil and Gas Section, and the State Bar of Texas – Oil and Gas Section. Eli is also a member of The College of the State Bar of Texas.
Eli earned his B.A from Kenyon College and his J.D., with honors, from Marquette University Law School. Eli is licensed to practice law in Texas, Ohio and Colorado. He is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- J.D. cum laude - 2002
- Law Review: Marquette Sports Law Review, Executive Editor
- Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio
- B.A. - 1999
- Major: Political Science
- Ohio, 2002
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Institute for Energy Law, Advisory Board
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association, Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Section
- Houston Association of Petroleum Landmen
- North Houston Association of Petroleum Landmen
- American Association of Petroleum Landmen
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Woodlands Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Boy Scouts of America, District Committee